Friday, April 13, 2012

Tale of a trip... part cinco

Port Charlotte- Spring Training


Well, there are no more amusement parks to visit... what are we gonna do now? SPRING TRAINING!! I tried for several weeks before going down to FL to get some tickets at the Red Sox spring training home field, but to no avail. The only game we could attend during our time there was the Rays vs. Red Sox at the Rays' field in Port Charlotte. The place was packed! We were able to carve out a little patch of space on the lawn (as those were the only tickets I could get) and get comfy with our neighbors. I couldn't believe the number of Sox fans there were!... are.... well, I guess I couldn't, actually- Red Sox Nation baby! :)

It was a wonderful day for baseball, bright sunny day with a few puffies floating by. Very laid back atmosphere, no one up in arms if they didn't win. But, at the end of the day, the Sox prevailed... good thing I didn't have to get my arm up. We strolled around the park, ate and over-priced dog (why wouldn't we?) which I guess is the Rays farm team there, the Stonecrabs... what a name. So, there we were strolling around Stonecrab Field, and just the nicest people- especially the Hooter girls walking around in their orange hot pants, giving out coupons for free or discounted libations after the game. I don't know if they had a family-friendly four-pak or not :) You can see them in the background of one of the pix. And for the record, I did NOT take that picture. If I would have, it would have been a closeup... just kidding!

After the game, we went and found our hotel, then the next order of bi'ness was food! We all had a hankerin' for some good seafood and the concierge (motel-7 employee) gave us a couple of choices. Our motto when we travel is that we don't do national food chains unless and emergency, coming off a 40-day fast, or under duress of starvation. Well, it looked like the choices we had left much to be desired. The place we chose was I believe a shelter for the Snowbirds that congregate in the area. Seemed like the patrons and the owner/workers all knew each other and were saying their good-byes as they were "flying" back to the northern nesting grounds for another season. Now, lest I offend someone... may I say that I love old people, I have many old people that are friends, in fact, I hang out with old people quite a bit when I'm at home (my neighbors: Mom and Dad)- I expect to be old someday... (but today is not that day!) I felt so bad for our server, she must have been about 75, and might have had a peg leg or been One-eyed Willie's wench (she actually had a bad limp... but I expected her to blurt out a "How arrrrrrrr ya" any minute). Where was her eye patch? I didn't think she was going to be able to make it through our meal she was limping so bad (probably faking it to get a bigger tip- man, she pulled me in hook, line, and sinker! Just kidding- I love people that limp).

The ambiance at the restaurant was very nice though. We ate out on the deck overlooking the water- the sun was starting to set and dang- it was a beautiful site- check the pic. While we were eating, there was a family of three that came and sat next to us. The woman ordered some wine and while she was waiting for that to come, I thought she should have ordered some cheese as well as she brought a whole bagful of whine with her. She was whining about everything it seemed. They finally brought our her beverage which was in a plastic cup. That was the proverbial straw that broke the proverbial camel's back. I thought she was going to rip Ms. One-eyed Willie a new one. They were done. They left a couple of Washingtons, spread wing, took flight and were outta there faster than a snowbird in a Winnebago. What is this place thinking- serving wine in a plastic cup? The impudence! The audacity! The unmitigated gall! Guess the lady forgot her meds today- "Yo lady- this ain't The Plaza. At least they wiped the lipstick off the cup before they gave it to you. Take a pill" (I actually love people who take pills- I mean no disrespect).

Ah, what a day... thanks for the good times- good night Port Charlotte.

2 comments:

  1. Sox? Come on, brotha! You seriously need to find a new team to root for. You would look devastatingly handsome in a nice blue cap with an interlocking NY on the front. That old fashioned B thing has got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting world.

    It's been said that any bettor needs to look at this,

    Watch this now or quit betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software

    ReplyDelete